Odysee - centralised

Odysee is a centralised website, if it becomes popular and large numbers of people start visiting, the curators of the site will come under pressure to ban content, like what has happened on YouTube.

Please consider decentralising Odysee, and especially the ability to curate.

Technically it isn’t centralised, it just happens that nobody is running their own instance.
While there’s only 1 site (not counting the soon to be discontinued lbry.tv website), content is still hosted on multiple computers of whoever has seen a video and not deleted it locally.

How often did governments try to censor and/or regulate torrents?
Did it succeed? Nope!
Because torrents are decentralised.
Odysee content works that way as well.

However, I do believe we need Odysee clones spread on servers outside of the US to avoid censorship of content hosted on their servers (if they do, probably they do as a form of backup plan).
For example like with Mastodon, you can set up a server in Japan to avoid war on 2D drawings, or in Russia or China to avoid (false) DMCA take downs.
Probably all it takes is to just download the source code, and set up your own server running LBRY.

As far as I can tell there is no such local copy of any of the videos I have viewed on Odysee on my computer. Is this the same BS as bitchute trying to claim it’s peer to peer?

No, the decentralization of hosted content is legit. If you go to settings:

You’ll find the download directory:

All the content you watched should be downloaded there, and every time a download completes, you should be seeing a notification from the app.

I think comments and votes aren’t decentralized yet, though.

EDIT:

of the videos I have viewed on Odysee

Oh, you’re viewing them through the website? Yeah that doesn’t do much in terms of decentralization. You’d have to use the LBRY desktop app to get a local copy.

Another EDIT:

Looks like the files that will be used for filesharing is stored in the lbrynet blobfiles folder. See:

So I have a bit of an issue with these comments that I hope you can straighten me out on.

1. When I upload a video the video literally is getting uploaded to somewhere. It isn’t being hosted on my computer. So where is the initial upload and processing happening and how is that not centralized?

2. It has been explained that the blockchain is what is storing the information on the video and where it can be found, however, I don’t see how that would work on a pier to pier network. ie: the location is changing every second. So how exactly does the pier to pier part of this solution work with relation to the blockchain.

thanks,

Glenn

A while ago I wrote a technical article about setting up your own instances of LBRY servers, it doesn’t directly answer your question, but it gives a rough overview of all the components LBRY uses. For reference here’s a chart from the article:

Each of these components can be set up by anyone on their own computer, but the decentralization comes in mostly at the “LBRY Wallet Server” and “lbrycrd” points.

1. When I upload a video the video literally is getting uploaded to somewhere. It isn’t being hosted on my computer. So where is the initial upload and processing happening and how is that not centralized?

If you’re using the desktop app, it is actually both hosted on your computer, and uploaded to LBRY servers. The desktop app has a built-in local instance of the lbrynet server, which is connected to two parallel P2P networks

• The LBRY blockchain, via the Wallet Server and lbrycrd server.
  • A BitTorrent-like content exchange network (not shown on the chart)

The desktop app can be configured to use custom Wallet Server, and in this case the only way Odysee even sees the uploaded content is through P2P, rather than via a direct upload when you do it through the website or the default Wallet Servers.

1. It has been explained that the blockchain is what is storing the information on the video and where it can be found, however, I don’t see how that would work on a pier to pier network. ie: the location is changing every second. So how exactly does the pier to pier part of this solution work with relation to the blockchain.

The blockchain is only used for indexing metadata. Stuff like channel names, video titles, and most importantly regarding your question - the content hash. Like I mentioned above, there’s a BitTorrent-like network running parallel to the blockchain, once you have the content hash you can query other peers for who you can download the content from.

1 Like