How to organize this forum?

I think having one forum with everything thrown in is a mistake.

But having too many forums is also bad.

So let’s discuss proposed organization.

Here’s a start:

• General (serves as a catch-all for everything that doesn’t clearly go in protocol or apps)
  • Protocol
  • Apps (both internal and custom?)
  • Random / Off-Topic

What is the purpose of this forum? What kind of information should and should not be here?

If someone asks a question as a github issue, are we going to close that issue and send them here?

If the question is not appropriate for GitHub, then yes.

Moved to meta in case others have comments. I figured it’s easier to evolve from 1 then pick several and get it wrong, so we’re starting with just one. I also added a banner to the site.

Ah, I just realized the Q/A plugin works best if it’s category-wide, so maybe we should start with Tech Questions and Tech Discussions, or something like this.

There’s also a tag based system for Q/A (someone would need to know to apply that tag though), not sure if I did this one correctly or not: Q/A plugin testing

We could also have General Questions for non-technical q/a, and an FAQ or some other KB-type section. Doing it here seems a lot nicer than doing it on lbry.io (you get search, its easier to edit, etc)

I thought the purpose of this forum is to be more on the tech side, so we wouldn’t want general FAQ/kb stuff here. Tech KB/FAQs should be on lbry.tech.

@Madiator2011 is this implemented?

The is plugin for Q/A. Goal of the forum is to be both tech and for non tech people. Most of the tech people use github where normal people can use forum for communications.

GitHub isn’t really a place for free-flowing discussions though. It’s more for “to the point” type issues. Using GitHub like a forum, is like using a Mini to plough a field.

Discord is the opposite. It’s full of crap, which makes it impossible, or uncomfortable, to use for serious topics.
So I do think this is a the right place for more serious dev type discussions. But like anything, it’ll only work if people use it. If they do, it’ll be great.

The down side is, the UI and UX with this platform, isn’t as flush as other platforms, but it’s also not bad. And I do like the built in gamification.

And while we’re on the subject of gamification. How customisable is it? Or is it set in stone?

I think its pretty customizable

1 Like