▓▒▒ ╠══ AST ■║      ║    ║ ║ ╚══╗    ║   ░░▒█
█▒░ ║        ║      ║    ║ ║    ║    ║    ░▓▓
▓▓░ ║    ░   ╚═════■╚════╝ ■    ■ ░  ║ ░  ░▒▓
▓▒░░║ ░       THE TERMINAL CLIENT    ║    ▒▒█
█▒▒ ■      ░                  ░      ■ ▒░ ░▓▓
▓▒░░░░░░░▒░░░░▓░░░░░▒░░░░░░░░░▒░░░░▒░░░░░░░▒█
▓▓▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓
█▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓████▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓██▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓▓█▓▓▓▓██

This is a project of 3 programs together the FastLBRY project. There are not enough choice when it comes to LBRY. You can either use the Odysee.com website. Or the LBRY Desktop that shares the source code with Odysee, which makes it a sub-optimal solution. LBRY Desktop is more local, but it’s still a tiny browser with a website on it.

If you look on what’s running on Odysee.com, you will discover a bloated mess of compiled JavaScript on top of other bloated mess of JavaScript. Pages barely contain HTML5 code. I’ve talked to them about this and all they could say was:

Thank you for the issue and write up. This is not something we plan to do anytime soon since we rely on the open-source videojs framework heavily. We may consider it in the future.

Fine. You won’t do that. How about me? Maybe I can do that. It’s Free / Libre Software we are talking about. You don’t need a permission to start implementing things.

Here is the plan for this project:

• FastLBRY Terminal. A fully featured, terminal application to interact with LBRY. It will allow watching videos, download files, view and send comments, upload new files. This stage is half finished. Source code.

• FastLBRY GTK. A fully featured graphical application. It will have all the same features as the FastLBRY Terminal but with a GUI that a basic user might understand. It will require a bit of UI design work. I don’t want it to resemble YouTube. LBRY is way deeper then just a clone of YouTube. I want the design to showcase the LBRY network correctly. Source code

• FastLBRY HTML5. A fully featured server application. Released on the AGPL this time. That people could install to make instances of LBRY on the web. But instead of it being this bloated mess of JavaScript. It will be a straight forward HTML5 site. With JS maybe only in the most minimal form. And only for secondary features ( like live notifications for comments ). So it will not break core features if the user decides to block all JS.

3 Likes

Are you planning to make gtk client working on windows? Sadly not many people moves to linux yet.

I will not work on making it work on Windows. I don’t have even how to test whether it will work on Windows. The point of my apps ( all of them ) is kind of like to be this GNU / Linux exclusive stuff everybody wants so much that they will HAVE TO switch.

Think about The Last Of Us on Play Station. For some people it was enough to buy a play-station. What if people will take a step to install an operating system that supports a piece of software? Or maybe if hey do not want to loose their Windows thing, they would buy a separate computer for that piece of software. Thus… I want to make it Free ( so anybody could potentially make a Windows port ) but make it so it will be simpler to install GNU / Linux to run it.

I don’t believe that there are people who cannot get away from Windows. This is just not true. Perhaps those people just need to have a month or two without any computing device. Then they will realise that anything computer related is just nice to have things. Not requirements. Your job that you are doing. You can find a different job. Richard Stallman famously wanted to be a waiter in 1983 before deciding to start the GNU project.

I want change. I don’t want to be a person that bend over to people who use drug-software to which they have an addiction. I want them to be free from their addiction. I want change.

So… I played around with this (the CLI app) for almost an hour before becoming frustrated with it.

Kudos for doing it, but … it’s NOT fast. It’s dreadfully slow and cumbersome compared to the many CLI YT apps.

How much effort would it take to refactor to ncurses or notcurses and provide an interface more similar to pipe-viewer, mps-youtube, or ytfzf?

And. You really should apply for a Community Fund grant to develop this. :wink: If it’s more use-able and approachable, it could become my go-to LBRY interface.

1 Like

It’s slow only because the SDK takes time to resolve claims. Everything else is blazing fast. LBRY will always be slower then YT because it’s decentralised.

Actually… I found it slow mostly due to the many interface steps. The loading of the data was no less fast than other CLI or TUI applications for similar services.

I’m super excited about the GTK app. Will check it for sure.