Curl publish - building a bridge from Wordpress

Goal: move video content up to Odysee (I think)

Method: still working that out. Ultimately, I’ll probably run a hook upon successful media upload to WP which will a) optimize the video file, b) curl publish it to Odysee.

For now, I’m moving in baby steps and simply trying to run curl from a terminal on the VPS to publish a known MP4 file to Odysee.

Issue: The issue is truly that I am totally new to the LBRY protocol and this whole decentralized publishing thing in general. So if you don’t feel like coaching someone who is gonna ask some verrrry basic questions, this topic is not for you lol

Questions:

1. Am I even thinking of this correctly - is publishing my video content to Odysee what I’m doing when I do a curl publish command as in API Documentation - lbry.tech? I saw in other threads ppl are talking about running their own LBRY nodes, and I notice that in the SDK examples, the destination is localhost:5279
  2. I’m on an old CentOS 6.x VPS. curl works … am I supposed to be running some kind of local node on port 5279? Can someone point me to a setup guide for this?
  3. Do I need to do an kind of pre-authorization before I publish? Like get a token for use in my publish command? If so, where does that go in the publish parameters (using the curl method)?
  4. Does my method make sense to somone who’s been using LBRY for awhile? Let’s assume at least that I stay with Wordpress as my platform … I’m not ready to move yet … so with that assumption in mind, do you think I’m approaching this in a reasonable way? If not, what other libraries or wrappers or frameworks should I be thinking about to reduce how much I need to actually code? I am not at all afraid of terminal commands, bash scripts, and PHP, but I’m no software engineer. I tend to use the infinite monkey approach to learning and creating things lol.
  5. bids - do I even need to bid to get things on my own channel? If so, what’s a reasonable minimum amount? I haven’t even learned yet how I’m getting money in this wallet lol
  6. once the sample MP4 is published to my Odysee channel (If that’s what I should even be doing) … does it have to stay on my server? I was initially under the impression that I’m sending the video to them, just like the YouTube model … now I’m not sure.

sigh … thanks for reading!

1. when you run the LBRY electron client, it opens that local port (5279) for receiving API requests. This is equivalent to stating lbrynet start if you have the cli. It’s a local gateway to the primary network.

2. same as #1 , see the readme

3. The account_list and account_add methods can manage your authorizations; but in practice it’s easiest to open the electron LBRY client and choose the Sync Data option. This will populate your accounts for use with the local gateway (~/.local/share/lbry/lbryum/wallets/ for me). If all worked as intended, lbrynet account list should have your channel address. This is also how you extract your private_key, btw. From then, publishing with curl is a matter of naming your channel address – the sdk will locate your keys from there.

4. I’ve managed to upload a bunch of videos by curling to localhost. It seemed strange to me at first, too; but I think I get it now. Wanting to automate as much as possible, this was more attractive than filling out web forms. So you’re not crazy.

5. I don’t fully get bids either, but that’s the “boost” for your content. I guess the bigger the better, if you’re in a competition. I’ve gotten things published for 0.001 no problem. But if you look at the explorer, there’s a lot of behind-the-scenes manipulation going on; you’ll send too much, but most of it back to yourself. Also throttle - you can’t have too many unconfirmed uploads out there at the same time. I think it broke around 20 or 30 for me.

6. I’m not 100% on remote content – I’m uploading local files, so having them watchable at all proves they were copied. Thumbnail images is another story, I think your listing will break if you remove them, and URLs is the only option when publishing with curl. I’m fairly certain you can remove the uploaded media, though.

Hope this helped.