5 Questions - Regarding LBRY

1. How do I make a video private or unlisted? I want to send the videos to customers, but I don’t want suggestions showing up (on the right) or them having the ability to type in what they are looking for in the search bar to find it for free.

2. Is there a limit on uploaded files from a gig standpoint? I have some files that are 4 and 5 gigs a piece. Can these be uploaded through the desktop version? (i’m still figuring out how to download the FF encoder if so)

3. Right now, I have an external hard drive with all my files. Should I first buy a new hard drive and copy this one? Then, do I run one of the external hard drives off the lbry desktop app? I read the instructions, but I’m still not quite sure how to make all this work.

4. Is there a way to create playlists within a channel? If not, is this in the pipeline?

5. Is there a way to change the URL of a video at any given time without deleting and re-uploading?

Hey there, thanks for reaching out!

1. Right now there’s no way to do this. Probably the easiest workaround would be to password protect a zip file with the video and share the password.

2. There’s no limit, but there’s a bug somewhere around ~23 GB at the moment.

3. It’s a bit complicated at the moment and the best way is via a symlink: https://lbry.com/faq/how-to-change-lbry-blob-files

4. In the pipeline, hopefully in the next few months.

5. No, once a lbry:// URL is created, it can’t be changed. You can update the metdata or data behind it, but not the URL itself.

Hope these help and welcome to LBRY!

1 Like

It does help, thank you.

The only thing I’m not completely clear on is still how to upload larger videos. My largest videos are no bigger than 9 or 10 gigs, so I don’t think I will have an issue with the 23 gig hiccup range.

Can I just do this through the desktop app or do I absolutely need to have an external hard drive dedicated for that? (meaning, I would have go through the instructions on question #3, correct or incorrect? Is there an easier way now or in the pipeline?)

You could also put an impossible price on it.

The Desktop app is probably the best way to do that, right now. You’re going to want to make sure that your metadata is correct and consistent for all of those videos, anyway, so you’re going to need to go through them probably wanted a time.

Take that opportunity for editorial judgment. Probably not everything needs to be put online. Start with your best stuff and work down. By the time you get into it, you’ll probably have some templates made for Descriptions, have a good idea of what tags need to be put on things, and it will go much faster.